Orthodontics for Adults
At Bret Johnson Orthodontics, it’s NEVER too late to perfect your smile. Orthodontics isn’t just for children anymore! In fact, 25% of Dr. Bret’s patients are adults. Our state of the art technology makes your treatment the shortest, and most efficient possible. We know wearing braces isn’t ideal, and we want them off as quickly as you do (with the right treatment)! Age plays a nearly nonexistent role in the determination of treatment – it’s gums, teeth and underlying bone that we are on the lookout for.
The benefits of treatment are forever! Whether your smile is of cosmetic or dental importance, the benefits of treatment are giving more adults outrageously beautiful grins. We are lucky to be able to provide you with the happy, healthy smile you have dreamed about.
5 Reasons to Choose Adult Orthodontic Treatment
- According to a survey by Match.com, 71% of women and 58% of men surveyed said a smile is the number one thing they notice first about a potential partner.
- A great smile can help you feel more confident in job interviews and in the workplace, ultimately helping to advance your career.
- With invisible clear aligners or clear braces, aesthetic orthodontic treatments are available now more than ever.
- A 2014 survey from the American Association of Orthodontists found that adults made up a record high of nearly 1.5 million orthodontics patients in the U.S. and Canada.
- 8 in 10 adults who pursued orthodontic treatment felt that their outlook on life became more positive.
Treatment Options for Adults
For many adults, the thought of having metal braces front and center deters them from seeking orthodontic treatment. Fortunately, today’s advanced treatments allow us to give a variety of options that are both comfortable and aesthetically pleasing. We are happy to customize treatment options to address your specific needs and concerns. In addition to low friction braces, we offer clear braces and Invisalign® treatment.
- An incorrect bite or malocclusion, causing the teeth to fit together inappropriately
- Teeth that are crowded or spaced apart, which can lead to an increased risk of gum disease and decay
- Desire for a healthier mouth, which studies have shown lead to improved overall health, and a more confident smile. Teeth that are well aligned are easier to clear and help prevent other system health problems
- To idealize the position of the teeth or the bite in preparation for cosmetic or restorative work (eg. crowns, fillings, dental implants, etc.) by other dental professionals
- To achieve a beautiful smile that builds confidence, improves your quality of life and gives you all the reasons you need to smile proudly!
- Growth is complete — Unlike children, the jaw bones of adults are no longer growing. In certain cases this lack of growth makes it difficult to align the jaw bones without the use of surgery.
- Gum disease and/or bone loss (periodontal disease) — Adults are more susceptible to gum disease or bone loss due to advanced periodontal disease. Patients with well aligned teeth are at less risk of developing gum disease. In addition, orthodontic treatment can help improve bone levels around certain teeth.
- Worn or missing teeth — Throughout life our teeth wear down causing unwanted movement of the teeth. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift into unfavorable positions causing bite problems and even gum disease.