At Bret Johnson Orthodontics, we believe it’s NEVER too late to straighten your smile. Orthodontics isn’t just for children anymore! In fact, 25% of Dr. Bret’s practice is adults. Technology today allows for a more comfortable treatment in a shorter, more efficient time period. The age of a person plays a very small role in determining if orthodontic treatment would be beneficial. What does play a role is the health of the gums, teeth and underlying bone.
The benefits of treatment are life lasting! Whether for cosmetic reasons or to improve a poor bite that has resulted in dental problems, the benefits of orthodontic treatment are providing more adults with a beautiful, healthy smile they have always wanted.
Treatment Options for Adults
For many adults, the thought of having metal braces discourages them from receiving orthodontic treatment. Fortunately, the advanced orthodontic treatments of today allow us to offer a variety of braces and appliances that are both comfortable and aesthetic, eliminating those fears altogether. We can customize treatment options to address your specific needs and concerns.
In addition to low friction braces, we offer clear braces and Invisalign® treatment.
Do you despise impressions? Our office proudly uses the I-tero element intra-oral scanner. This new technology allows us to create 3D models of your teeth in three minutes by using a small “wand” to scan your teeth! Gone are the days of messy impressions, cleanup and gagging!
Common Reasons Why Adults are Considering Orthodontic Treatment
- An incorrect bite or malocclusion, causing the teeth to fit together inappropriately
- Teeth that are crowded or spaced apart, which can lead to an increased risk of gum disease and decay
- Desire for a healthier mouth, which studies have shown lead to improved overall health, and a more confident smile. Teeth that are well aligned are easier to clear and help prevent other system health problems
- To idealize the position of the teeth or the bite in preparation for cosmetic or restorative work (eg. crowns, fillings, dental implants, etc.) by other dental professionals
- To achieve a beautiful smile that builds confidence, improves your quality of life and gives you all the reasons you need to smile proudly!
The Difference Between Adult Orthodontics and Orthodontics for Children & Teens
- Growth is complete — Unlike children, the jaw bones of adults are no longer growing. In certain cases this lack of growth makes it difficult to align the jaw bones without the use of surgery.
- Gum disease and/or bone loss (periodontal disease) — Adults are more susceptible to gum disease or bone loss due to advanced periodontal disease. Patients with well aligned teeth are at less risk of developing gum disease. In addition, orthodontic treatment can help improve bone levels around certain teeth.
- Worn or missing teeth — Throughout life our teeth wear down causing unwanted movement of the teeth. Missing teeth can cause other teeth to shift into unfavorable positions causing bite problems and even gum disease.